The Power of Sound: Healing Drum Medicine
Healing Drum Medicine
One of the most ancient ways to heal physically and emotionally!
No wonder scientists continue to study it as a resource to heal the most debilitating illness mentally AND physically!
Ancient civilizations have carvings of geometric patterns that we have discovered equate to sound symbols and sacred geometry. In the world of “woo woo” and magic it all makes perfect sense… but what about the logical world?
Have you ever been curious why a group of folks would drum in a circle and call it, “healing” ?? The truth is that there is so much of sound healing we don’t understand.
What about our tangible, messy, anxiety-ridden, fast-paced world we live in today???
Here are some of the studies I have researched and absolutely love about drums allowing life to be easier and more enjoyable TODAY…
HEALTH BENEFITS OF DRUMMING:
Drumming has been proven in human clinical research to assist with the following:
- Reduce Blood Pressure, Anxiety & Stress (A 2014 study published in the Journal of Cardiovascular Medicine, states especially on the heart.)
- Increase Brain White Matter & Executive Cognitive Function (2014 study published in the Journal for Huntington’s Disease found that two months of drumming intervention in Huntington’s patients, (considered an irreversible, lethal neurodegenerative disease) resulted in “improvements in executive function changes in white matter microstructure, notably in the genu of the corpus callosum in the prefrontal cortices of both hemispheres.)
- Pain Reduction (Triggers endorphin release whereas merely listening to music did not. Experts also contribute bonding activities involving drumming as well.)
- Reduced Stress Increases dehydroepiandrosterone-to-cortisol as well as other depression and anxiety battling hormones.
- Transcendent Experiences Research has shown drumming to allow one to go into a deeper hypnotic state and when combined with shamanistic instruction, drumming enables participants to experience decreased heart rate and dreamlike experiences consistent with transcendent (or re-creation) experiences.
- Socio-Emotional Disorders Experts have found evidence-based healing, (especially for children) primarily with anxiety to attention and from oppositional to post-traumatic disorders.
It may seem to be a primal “free for all” when we drum, but it is the perfect way to bridge the gap between healing and enjoying the journey!
Most people say they simply feel, “lighter” post drumming. I love that I feel relaxed as it gives tension and emotions somewhere to go!!
Drums have the ability to heal the NON-VOCAL emotions, which is why they are so impactful when used on children struggling without being certain why.
Words can be difficult to convey what we feel or understand fully how to release, however drums are the universal language of our subconscious and many have shared how they have felt massive emotional shifts or have seen positive behavioral changes post drumming with a medicine drum!
In my studies, I have found this to be due to the sound resonating with our subconscious memory of being in utero…when the only experienced we knew was the beat of our mother’s heart.
Absent of light or dark, hot or cold, even our own breath, we knew the BEAT. This beat reminds our cells of the time when our only purpose was to create cells that align with the original, most perfect form. Drumming offers a wake-up call to the cells and calls for RE-ALIGNMENT.
Studies have even shown that the 11th harmonic has caused LEUKAEMIA to explode… my view is that this is due to the mutated cells trying to align and their inability to causes separation. (Though, I am not a scientist… I trust it!)
Drum circles are popping up weekly, if you would like to host one or join one, please let me know! Free community healing drum circles include healing work and sound healing!
I am happy to answer any questions about medicine drums or help you get one for yourself whether you need a “make-at-home drum kit”, to attend a drum making and healing workshop or have me make one for you!
I would love to help!
Love, Light & BIG Squishy Hugs,